WASHINGTON, July 26, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — AllAccessCon, in cooperation with author and editor Heidi Ruby Miller, hosted a virtual charity event July 24-25 to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Loaded with appearances by international bestsellers and award winners from around the globe, all funds generated by the readings, giveaways, and Q&A sessions are being donated to LLS.
"When someone I loved was diagnosed with stage 4 leukemia in the middle of the pandemic, I felt helpless," notes Miller. "The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was there for my family in so many ways that I wanted to help them in return and also give myself purpose."
From this near-tragedy she conceived a charity anthology titled Like Sunshine After Rain, to be released later this month by Raw Dog Screaming Press in hardcover and paperback.
"I did what I do best—I wrote and asked others for their writing. The only two requests: make it upbeat and short. My author friends did something extraordinary by experimenting with forms and genres, writing out of their comfort zones, and sharing personal, uplifting experiences. And they thanked me for it. Their willingness to search for the positive became an unexpected time capsule of perseverance during a time when we all needed it most."
Blood Cancer Stats During COVID-19
Statistics relating to blood cancers such as lymphoma and leukemia are in some ways bad, while also providing a glimmer of hope.
- 10% of new cancer cases diagnosed in the USA this year will be leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma this year
- Every 3 minutes somebody is diagnosed with a form of blood cancer in the USA, resulting in 1 death every 9 minutes
- Due to improvements in care 5-year survival rates have doubled, or in some cases tripled, for blood cancers over the last 60 years
LLS employs a three-pronged approach to provide direct support, such as that received by Miller’s family, as well as providing over $1 billion in research funding in addition to doing aggressive policy and advocacy work.
Featuring world-renowned authors
Because of pandemic restrictions the book launch was hosted virtually, with fundraising as an additional component. Michael Mehalek, Heidi Ruby Miller, and Arthur J. Rooney Award winner Jason Jack Miller, along with publisher Raw Dog Screaming Press, donated copies of their books to attendees.
Other authors and editors involved in the anthology include:
- New York Times bestsellers Jonathan Maberry and Maria V. Snyder
- USA Today bestseller Annette Dashofy
- International bestseller Liz Coley
- Amazon Charts bestsellers Cary Caffrey, Sasha Dawn, and Jennifer Foehner Wells
- Drue Heinz Literature Prize winner Randall Silvis
- Bram Stoker Award winners Lee Murray, Christina Sng, Lucy A. Snyder, Sara Tantlinger, and Tim Waggoner
- International Horror Guild Award winners Michael A. Arnzen and Gary Braunbeck
- Asimov’s Readers Award winner Timons Esaias
- Pittsburgh City Paper Best Local Writer winner Brian Butko
- American Library Association Notable Book Award winner Lynn Salsi
- Eugene V. Debs Foundation Literature Prize winner Eric Leif Davin
Full information and tickets can be found at https://hopin.com/events/like-sunshine-after-rain-book-launch.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® (LLS) is a global leader in the fight against cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world, provides free information and support services, and is the voice for all blood cancer patients seeking access to quality, affordable, coordinated care. https://www.lls.org/
AllAccessCon (https://allaccesscon.com/) is a Black-owned company founded in late 2019 to make live events accessible to everyone regardless of location, economic background, or disability. AllAccessCon maintains offices in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
1 (301) 832-85321